Friday, February 16, 2007

A Man and a Mission


Psalm 116:15 - Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

The passing of Dr. Bill Mitchell sent shockwaves to many of us throughout the world. I was in disbelief for a period of time after hearing the news. What a man he was, and what a legacy he left.

My first recollection of Bill was as it should be - a healer. He provided me with a remedy to help me with my diabetes, and was so sure it would work, he warned me to check my sugar levels regularly. The remedy worked and I certainly followed his advice. What a thoughtful, compassionate man, to be concerned for the well-being of a new acquaintance, and without need for remuneration.

His “talks” on campus and at AANP conferences were always standing room only. He connected with everyone in the room – we were spellbound – as he rambled on with stories that all connected and made sense out of the world we live in. His 55th birthday was an event that I will always remember.

I fondly recall our monthly lunches. He loved the food and the discussions on many topics. I, in turn, cherished our time together immensely. He told me on several occasions of his faith in Christ, and as I listened to this genius and well-learned man, I was thoughtful of his deep heartfelt reverence for all things spiritual, and his abiding faith as he shared it. His laughter I can still hear as I write this – what a joy to the soul.

I wish his family well during this time. Leah, please continue his remarkable legacy, and to the incredible Bastyr family, be strident to continue his heritage throughout the ages.

Dr. Tom Shepherd
Former President, Bastyr University, and Friend