Wednesday, February 21, 2007

You Have To Be Crazy!


Dr. Mitchell was the very first person I met when I was coming for my interview at Bastyr University. A friend of mine who knew him suggested I meet with him first before I set foot on the Bastyr campus. That was the best advice my friend gave me....

I met Bill at his office downtown. All I knew about him was that he was the co-founder of Bastyr. Nothing else. He met me with a warm smile, and he talked with me a good two hours about naturopathic medicine. During the conversation, I asked Bill what the best way would be to present myself to the admissions committee. His response is one I will never forget. He said to me, "First off, you have to be crazy and committed to Earth's medicine, and second, no matter how tough school can be, live each day as if it were your last." I laughed and said something like, "Well, I must be crazy. For a long time, I have been waiting to find this calling." Bill reached out his hand and said, "Welcome to the profession."

I am forever grateful for his time that day, and am honored to have known him throughout my time at Bastyr. His teachings and the many talks I have had with him will stay with me for the rest of my career!

Jill Ghormley, ND '06